AD | I have worked on this post in collaboration with a brand and have either been compensated for this post via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. There may also be affiliate links in this post which I may receive compensation for if you click on a link and ultimately make a purchase.
Porto Katsiki in Lefkada is often voted one of the ten best beaches in Greece.
At the southern tip of Lefkada and 45 minutes from Mousses where we are staying we wondered if it was worth making the effort to visit Porto Katsiki. Could the view really be that good?
Oh and if you’re wondering about Mousses then it really is that good – we went twice! Have a read and I think you’ll see why we went back to Mousses Villas Lefkada these family friendly villas in Greece. For a more detailed review of our visit last year, click here.
It is definitely worth the effort and the views are quite simply stunning.
These are my top tips for an easier family visit to Porto Katsiki, Lefkada.
1. Get there early for a spot at the back of the beach. I’d aim for 9 if you can. The cliffs provide a natural shade. No need to carry umbrellas down the 99 steps if you will only stay a few hours.
2. Yes I said 99 steps! So make sure you don’t take too much with you. Getting down is fine, but depending on the age of your kids you may have to carry them back up as well as all your stuff!
3. There is a bar at the top of the steps that delivers food to the beach. They have runners who literally run up and down the steps with coffees, sandwiches, huge doughnuts and cold drinks. I really didn’t need to take the huge ‘heavy’ picnic with me! (We visited 1st week of June and it was open, a reader has just advised it wasn’t open in May. The bar is called Bivili but I couldn’t find a website to check)
4. Pack goggles or a snorkel and mask. The sea is crystal blue and you can see the fish swimming around.
5. The beach is predictable for Lefkada very stoney, but there are patches of sand and we did build a sandcastle.
6. If your babies need carrying you will need to take a sling. You won’t get the buggy up and down those steps.
7. Try and stop for a toilet trip before you get to the beach. There are toilets at the top but they are not maintained. They are very very dirty and practically unusable.
8. The Macedonia Palace and Nidri Star (both large boats) arrive at around 11.45 for a hour and hundreds of people pour onto the beach. If you arrived then and looked at the beach I don’t think you would go down, however they do leave in an hour so don’t let it put you off.
9. You need 3 euros for the car park. Locals suggest that in August you can’t get in the car park unless you are there very early in the days
10. Watch out for the pot holes on the drive down. You don’t need an insurance claim or a popped tyre on your drive!
Ps Enjoy your time at Porto Katsiki in Lefkada
Why not PIN this post about Porto Katsiki in Lefkada