We love waterparks here at Mini Travellers: they get better and better as the kids get older. Mainly because me and hubby are both huge fans of the slides and the more they will go on with us the better. It can however be difficult to decide what to take and where to put everything.
Our top tips are:
1. Make sure the kids have waterproof sun cream on before you go. Easier to apply at home than trying to get them to stand still when they have the excitement of the water slides in front of them. We use waterproof cream in our solar buddies!
2. Take water and snacks with you (even if they say you can’t!). It’s often not only expensive to buy food within a water park, but in my experience the queues can be long. Kids get hungry and thirsty quickly at a water park so even if you intend to buy lunch there, take snacks and some water with you! I’ve never known a water park actually stop you.
3. Wear rash vests, these will not only protect the kids from the sun but also protect their backs against scratches etc on the slides.
4. Minimise what you take with you that you care about. All water parks will have lockers but some will be expensive and some will be in awkward places. We try not to take wallets, phones or cameras that aren’t waterproof. On our recent trip we literally took towels, a bag of water and crisps and the waterproof camera which we carried around with us. €20 in the bag for extras. No need for a locker that way.
You get some great videos with a waterproof camera too! We used this My Doodles Action Camera! It’s really easy to use and can take fun photographs and video at the simple press of a button. Not the best ones we’ve ever had (Go-Pro definitely better) BUT this camera is only £60! Not only do you have the 720p HD video-ready camera in each bundle, but you also get a waterproof case, an extension pole, a padded carry case, and a variety of mounts.
5. Find a base that is near something obvious then if the kids get lost they can explain to someone where you are. If you can only find one or two sunbeds, so be it, the kids will never sit on one anyway! Don’t spend ages looking for an area big enough for all of you!
Karen Beddow founded Mini Travellers in 2014 while doing what she loves most...going on holiday!
Mini Travellers is for parents looking for holiday ideas, destination reviews, days out and things to do with the kids. We also have family travel tips, activity ideas and all other things family holiday related. Take a look at some of our latest reviews for holidays and day trips in the UK.