The North Lakes is a great place to rent a holiday cottage. It’s quieter than the South Lakes and the many villages with great local pubs makes it a perfect spot for a relaxing holiday without too many people around. So if you are in the North Lakes then here are 10 Things to do with Kids near Uldale, North Lakes
If you stay in the village of Uldale in the North Lakes (which is very accessible from the M6), in a beautiful holiday home (like this one of my Sister in Law’s) then you’ll also find lots of fabulous things to do.
From The Old rectory in Uldale, which is a semi-detached well appointed period property and the main wing of the former Rectory of Uldale, there are many places to walk from the house or a 5 minute drive such as Skiddaw and Carrock fells. The village of Uldale is tucked just behind Skiddaw mountain. You can take the shoulder route up Skiddaw as its very interesting for children and you do not need to make it very far to get the views. If you go from the woods then you have a tea shop to motivate them all.
10 Things to do with Kids near Uldale, North Lakes
- Swimming in Bassenswaite Lake (park next to Lakeside lodges)
- Keswick Puzzle museum
- Mountain biking and children’s playground at Whinlatter forest
- Playground and walks at Mirehouse gardens. Tea room and walks at forest opposite.
- Canoeing at Derwent Water Marina
- The best plunge pool in the Lakes (its a secret) at Stonethwaite. Walk past the camp site and keep walking with the river to your left for about 1 mile.
- Favourite walk with views, swimming in the river and tea shop- The Grange, which is the village at the bottom of Derwent water. Castle Crag views are beautiful. You can do a loop and its about 4 miles.
- Panning for gold at Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum. Mine tour is more for adults but the train ride and panning is a good price and keeps them entertained.
- Boating on Derwent water
- Sitting in a hammock in the garden and playing tennis in Uldale play ground, (they can leave you tennis rackets in the shed).
Part of my 10 Things To Do In… series
Discover more great places to visit and things to do in the UK.
Karen Beddow founded Mini Travellers in 2014 while doing what she loves most...going on holiday!
Mini Travellers is for parents looking for holiday ideas, destination reviews, days out and things to do with the kids. We also have family travel tips, activity ideas and all other things family holiday related. Take a look at some of our latest reviews for holidays and day trips in the UK.