One of the brightest of all shining stars in the UK’s family holiday landscape of recent years is undoubtedly the gorgeous little corner of Woolacombe, North Devon. Voted year after year as the single best coastal holiday resort for travellers with children of all ages, Woolacombe has become an incredibly popular destination on both national and international tourist maps. From its incredibly pretty cottage-lined streets to its spectacular three miles of glorious golden sands, Woolacombe really does serve up all that’s great about North Devon in one compact package.
Family Fun and Activities
One of the very best things about this corner of Devon is the way in which doing nothing at all is often the most enjoyable activity. When you’re surrounded by such incredible natural beauty and that quintessentially tangible British seaside atmosphere, you really don’t have to look far to find enjoyment and entertainment. Nevertheless, there are literally hundreds of activities and opportunities for family fun and adventure scattered around Woolacombe and its surroundings, so during any stay in town it would be more than worth checking out a few of the highlights:
- Views From Mortehoe – For example, along with being the home of a fantastic and wonderfully compact maritime museum, Mortehoe also boasts some of the most incredible views imaginable.
- Visit Borough Farm – Kids of all ages will get a real kick out of this award-winning farm, where they will have the opportunity to meet a variety of animals in-person and perhaps learn a thing or two in the process.
- Horse Riding – Then of course there’s the option of heading out to Woolacombe Riding Stables for an enchanting and exciting horseback trip through the most gorgeous sights of the coast.
- Bicclescombe Park – You’ll find a wide array of activities and playgrounds at this wonderful family-friendly park which can be reached with ease just a few minutes away by car.
- Saunton Sands – As for the natural beauty of the coast, it is more than worth heading along to Saunton Sands to take in the sights of the United Kingdom’s biggest dune system.
Of course, above and beyond all of the examples listed above, it remains Woolacombe Bay itself that is the biggest attraction by far. Not only has this gorgeous stretch of sand been voted the UK’s best beach, but it’s actually ranked as one of the very best beaches in the whole world. The recipient of multiple awards, TripAdvisor users have nothing but glowing praise for Woolacombe Bay which is guaranteed to be the highlight of your family holiday.
- Enjoy the Peace – For restful and relaxation times with the family, you will always be able to find yourself a quiet corner on the beach where you can enjoy real peace and tranquillity.
- Family Swimming – There are lifeguards present at all times during the summer season, which combined with the exceptionally safe swimming conditions makes Woolacombe Bay the ideal location for a spot of family swimming.
- Learn to Surf – You’re never too young or too old for that matter to strap on a wet suit and try your hand at surfing. There are so many family-friendly surf schools up and down the beach that you will never be too far away from the perfect opportunity to try something new.
- Gentle Walks – Take in the beauty of the stunning coastline with a gentle walk around the beaches, bays and cliffs.
- Pitch and Pitch – And of course, no British holiday resort for families would be complete without its own mini golf or pitch and put opportunities, both of which are covered beautifully at Woolacombe Bay.
Another of the reasons why Woolacombe Bay is such a perfect place for family holidays is the way in which the area is bursting with fantastic family-friendly accommodation options, of which many were built from the ground up specifically for families. From hotels to guest-houses to campsites of all shapes and sizes, it is easy to find something to suit all tastes and budgets.
One of the very best examples of family friendly accommodation can be found at one of North Devon’s most popular family holiday parks – Woolacombe Bay Holiday Parks.
Along with superb locations at Woolacombe Bay, Easewell Farm & Twitchen House, the brand’s Golden Coast park was recently voted the UK’s best holiday park for 2015.Combining comprehensive comfort with epic entertainment and the beauty of being right in the heart of some of the region’s most glorious locations, family holiday parks like these represent the single most enjoyable of all accommodation options. You are after all here to make the most of the great outdoors, so why not take the opportunity and run with it?
Have you been to Woolacombe Bay? What did you think of it?
NB: This post has been posted in collaboration with Woolacombe Bay Holiday Parks