5 Things to do in Elba with Kids
I adore Italy. In fact I recently wrote a post about why I love Italy so much, yet despite this I still haven’t booked to go back with the kids. I have however decided it is definitely definitely on the list for next year, but I’ve yet to decide where and have been drawn into looking at Elba, Sardinia and Giglio Island in Tuscany.
I’d heard of Sardinia before but Elba and Giglio Island are completely new to me, which means I now really want to go!
Researching what there might be to do somewhere new is one of my favourite things so in no particular order these are the
5 things about Elba that make me think it would be a great place to take the kids.
1. Visit Beautiful Beaches in Elba
The sea looks stunning but there are a few beaches that crop up time and time again as a must to visit for families with children:
- Lido di Capoliveri which is sandy, has playgrounds and lots of bars and restaurants along the seafront.
- Lacona is one of the longest beaches on the island, with fine sand and shallow water. There is also a pine forest, to escape to when the sun gets too hot.
2. Take the Cable Car to the top of Monte Capanne in Elba
Note, this is a two person cable car so you will need one adult per child. Tips suggest you also need to check out the timetable as you may get stuck up at the top for longer than you had envisaged. Stunning views though.
3. Dolphin & Whale watching trips in Elba
You don’t have to go too far out to see them so the trips can be as short as 2-3 hours which is perfect for little ones.
4. Visit the Aquarium in Elba
A smallish aquarium that gets completely different reviews, adults seem to think it is far too small and dull. Families seem to love. Something for that cloudy day, or late afternoon change of scene.
5. Dig for Treasure in Elba at Museum in Rio Marina
Little museum where you can take a train journey and stop and search for buried treasure. My kids would love this.
How to get to Elba
- By ferry from Piombino, on the mainland. Advice is always suggest to book well in advance, especially during summer. The crossing Piombino-Portoferraio takes a little over an hour. Piombino is about 2 hours from Florence and 3 hours from Rome.
- By plane, into Elba Marina di Campo Airport.