What To Wear For Gorilla Trekking
What to wear for Gorilla Trekking??? Firstly can I just say it was amazing! It was a huge bucket list item and I can’t believe we actually did it. I also feel very lucky that we booked it when we did as they have literally just on the 6th May increased the cost from $750 each to $1500 each. You can find out more about the reasons why in the linked post. It does make sense but will put it completely out of reach to many people.
I read quite a lot of tips on what to wear when trekking to see gorillas in Volcanoes National Park so I thought I’d summarise what we packed in case you find this useful!
- Use a small backpack as it is useful to carry your water, packed lunch, camera and binoculars. I’ll used the Dublin Backpack from Helly Hansen big enough, but light with useful pockets.
- Hiking boots/strong waterproof walking boots. The ground is uneven so shoes with good ankle support.
- Light jumper and light rain poncho as the temperature is variable and weather conditions can change
- Long wool socks designed for a mountain tropical forest
- Long-sleeved shirts and trousers, even if very hot. This is to protect against bugs/ants and stinging nettles (there are loads of HUGE nettles). I wore a long sleeved shirt from Regatta and a pair of hardwearing navy trousers also from Regatta.
- Sweater/Fleece for cool evenings and chilly mornings due to nature and altitude of the place. I took a zip up fleece and glad I did as the day we trekked it was actually pretty warm.
- Hat for sun protection and Sunglasses ideally with a neck strap (I didn’t wear mine)
- Sun cream
- Camera, Go Pro, Video equipment, anything to capture the magic.
- Insect repellant.
- Gardening gloves to protect hands from nettles and insects. (Essential)
- Snacks – It can take from 30 minutes to eight hours to find the gorillas.
- Water – Lots of it.
- Hire a Porter – Give back to the local economy!
and if you want to watch our video of our Gorilla Trek do take a look here and see how close we got!
Why not PIN this post!